Column: Let’s navigate in the SRCE!
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 11 June 2019 17:41
-by Diane Stewart
Strait Regional Centre for Education
Hello again, everyone! This month, I am sharing information with you on the Early Development Instrument (EDI). The EDI is a survey that tells us how prepared children are for school when they enter grade primary.
Every second year, in February/March, the survey is completed by grade primary teachers and gives us information about how prepared our children are for school success. The survey provides information on five different areas:
– How healthy, independent, and rested the children are;
– Children’s ability to play, get along with others, share, and show self-confidence;
– Children’s ability to concentrate on tasks, help others, show patience, and control anger/aggression;
– Children’s interest in reading and writing, as well as their ability to count and recognize numbers and shapes;
– Children’s ability to tell a story and communicate with adults and other children.